Art as a healing balm – Using art to heal
“Art in healing is based on the idea that the creative process of art making is healing and life enhancing and that it is a potent form of communication. It utilizes the creative process to promote growth, self-expression, emotional reparation, conflict resolution and transformation.” – Cathy Malchiodi –
How art is beneficial in healing:
- Art is visual and shows traumatic emotions that you cannot express in words because sometimes talking about traumatic experiences can feel unsafe and hard to do
- Art is a personal journey, your own art has meaning and comes directly from your own feelings and imagination, which allows you to know yourself better during difficult times
- The act of creating art enhances self-esteem, gives a sense of control, relieves stress and tension in a creative way
- Art allows you to express the ideas and feelings that are associated with your trauma
- When you create, you go forward….